Are You Ready for ATSC 3.0?
Unprecedented technology changes for over-the-air delivery of video, audio and many other services are being planned for the near future. The implementation of an advanced transmission standard, ATSC 3.0, will likely impact every part of your transmission chain, from encoder through antenna.
ATSC 3.0 is a next-generation transmission platform in development, using new technologies and advanced error correction for the physical layer featuring OFDM modulation to create a wireless data agnostic IP delivery system.
- It accommodates and extends the existing high-power/tall-tower broadcast infrastructure, while supporting delivery of robust mobile and pedestrian mobile television and other data services to portable devices.
- It is not backwards compatible with ATSC 1.0 receiving devices (new receivers or STB’s needed).
- ATSC 3.0 is a “scalable,” “interoperable” and “adaptable” platform.
- It provides enhanced viewing and listening experiences:
- Ultra HD video up to 3,840 × 2,160 (8.2 Megapixels) at 60 fps.
- Delivers a unique immersive audio experience.
- Uses IP Transport Stream versus ASI or SMPTE-310.
- Higher data rates and capability for multiple programs, each optimized for different reception criteria (e.g. combinations of UHD indoor/HD tablet/SD mobile). Max data rate up to ≅ 60 MB/s, however 32 to 36dB C/N required.
- Allows broadcasters to extend coverage using a Single Frequency Network (SFN).
- An addressable feature of the transmission coding will allow “zoning” of programming, advertising and data services – supporting expansion of broadcasters services such as geolocational targeted content and advertising.
- Includes a new Advanced Warning and Response Network (AWARN). Designed to leverage the higher data throughput, more robust transmission and improved indoor reception.
GatesAir has analyzed and created a signal flow diagram from encoding through antennas to identify areas of your facility that will need your attention/review during the transition from ATSC 1.0 to ATSC 3.0.
Learn more:ATSC 3.0: Encoding and HeadendATSC 3.0: STL and TransportATSC 3.0: Transmitter and MonitoringATSC 3.0: RF SystemATSC 3.0: Antenna, Line and Tower
See also:Are You Ready for the Spectrum Repack?